What do I need to do?
Make sure your work can meet REF requirements by uploading your Accepted Manuscript* in Pure as soon as possible after date of acceptance. *This is your full text version of the manuscript after peer review and including any final changes, but before publisher typesetting or copy-editing by the publisher. Please do not upload final publisher versions, or typeset proofs.
Log in to Pure and upload your paper as soon as it is accepted – the Library will take care of the rest.
See How to deposit: quick guide (printable)
Upload articles or conference proceedings (with an ISSN). (Monographs, books and book chapters do not need to be uploaded to be eligible for REF, but we encourage you to add these to Pure if you wish.)
(1) This is the minimum we need from you:
- Date of acceptance
- Title of paper
- Author name
- Journal / Proceedings name
- Accepted manuscript
Starting from these minimal details, the Library staff will search and add any missing metadata, enhance and validate the record, and check REF compliance.
(2) New records should be created as follows:
- Make sure ‘Peer-reviewed’ is ticked
- Select publication status ‘Accepted/In Press’ and add the full date of acceptance
- Paste in title of the paper
- Add name of at least one author – use ‘Add person’ to add more if you can
- Select or add title of the journal/proceedings where it will be published
Click on ‘Add electronic version (file, DOI, or link)…’
- Select ‘Upload an electronic version’ and upload the accepted author manuscript
- Select Document version: ‘Accepted author manuscript’
- Select Public access as ‘Open’ [The Library will check and set embargoes as necessary]
- Click on ‘Add electronic version…’ again and add provisional DOI if available
Finally, add relations:
- Link grants acknowledged in the paper by selecting ‘Projects’
- Link any record of underlying data by selecting ‘Datasets’
Achieving compliance with the REF open access policy is broken down into 3 steps:
- Deposit (i.e upload to Pure) within 3 months of acceptance
- Discovery (i.e through the Pure Portal) of the metadata
- Access (via the repository) following any embargo
For more details about policies, institutional memberships and funder compliance see: Open access support web page